|Center for Persons with Disabilities|
9620 Old Main Hill
Logan, UT 84322-9620
John D. Copenhaver is the Director for Technical Assistance for Excellence in Special Education (TAESE) and principal investigator for the Mountain Plains Regional Resource Center (MPRRC). Mr. Copenhaver has experience in special education at the school district, state, regional, and national levels. Before joining the TAESE/MPRRC staff, Mr. Copenhaver served as a special education resource teacher, school psychologist, and special education director.
His work at TAESE and the MPRRC has involved providing technical assistance at the school, state, regional, and national levels. Mr. Copenhaver has extensive experience in Indian education. He provides technical assistance to states regarding their State Performance Plan, Annual Performance Report, and Levels of Determination.
Mr. Copenhaver has produced numerous training materials; been called upon to assist states and school districts in most areas of special education; made numerous conference presentations; published articles on special education issues; and provided technical assistance in the areas of legal issues, special populations, developing effective Individualized Education Programs, due process/mediation, Section 504, procedural safeguards, systems change, strategic planning, CSPD, State Advisory Panels, assistive technology, extended school year, and numerous other topics.
Mr. Copenhaver has been with the TAESE/MPRRC since 1989. He holds degrees from the University of Montana and University of Utah in Philosophy, Psychology, and Special Education Administration-School Psychology. He has been presented with four major national awards, the Martha J. Fields Excellence Award (NASDSE), the Joleta Reynolds Award (LRP Publications), National Award of Excellence (Bureau of Indian Affairs), and a National Award of Excellence in Special Education (NASDSE).
Roles at the CPD
- Main Profile
- Director for division Technical Assistance
- Principal Investigator for project Arizona Recruitment and Retention
- Director for project Center for Technical Assistance for Excellence in Special Education (TAESE)
- Principal Investigator for project New Mexico Technical Assistance
- Principal Investigator for project North Dakota Technical Assistance
- Principal Investigator for project South Dakota Techical Assistance
- Principal Investigator for project TASK12 - Training and Assessment Systems for K-12 Educational Interpreters