CAC Corner: Public transportation brings independence

May 2, 2011 by cpehrson

This CAC Corner blog is brought to us by Robin Savage, a CPD Consumer Advisory Council self-advocate member.  She and her husband, Blake, have been members of the CAC for several years.  You will never see Robin without a bright smile on her face and a cheery word to say.  She and her husband live in Hyrum, Utah.

By Robin Savage as told to Connie Pehrson

Hyrum, Utah is a wonderful place to live….if you have a car!  It is 8 miles from Logan, and that creates a problem for residents who don’t drive, like Robin Savage and her husband, Blake.

They don’t have a problem getting around in Hyrum because they can walk to many of the places they need to go.  Blake can walk to the middle school where he is a custodian, and Robin can walk to most of the schools that she works in as a substitute lunch assistant.  They walk to the library and to their church.  A lot of their family is within walking distance; some live just next door.

But when they have business in Logan such as medical appointments, meetings, or just want to go shopping, they have to rely on family or friends to drive them in.

That is, until they discovered the Cache Valley Transit District (CVTD) bus system!

Being independent is very important to Robin and Blake.  They are proud of their thriving greenhouse business and like to be able to take care of themselves.  When the CVTD South route started up several years ago they were excited to take advantage of it.

Now they use the bus once or twice a week to get into Logan.  Sometimes their family will drive them in and drop them off at the Transit Center and they can go wherever they need to by themselves. Then they can ride the bus back to Hyrum.

Not only does the CVTD give the Savages independence, but it is FREE!

Public transportation can be a lifeline for a person with a disability or a senior citizen. Special needs/accessible transportation is an important ingredient to being independent.  Without transportation options, some people might otherwise be virtually trapped in their homes or forced to lead much less independent lives.

Utah provides several transportation options for people with physical or mental disabilities.  Many counties in Utah have a paratransit service that can be accessed by eligible individuals.  Local Independent Living Centers (ILC) provide transportation assistance when needed. Utah 2-1-1 connects people with important health and human services programs such as transportation throughout the communities of Utah.

[NOTE: CVTD South buses come to Hyrum regularly every week day  at a variety of times and also has limited runs on Saturday.  CVTD does not run on Sundays.

The CVTD also provides a paratransit bus service through Call-A-Ride; it is for people with disabilities who have been certified as functionally unable to use the fixed route buses.  The paratransit service can be reserved by contacting the Transit District office.]

Tags: , ,